- On January 6, 2017
If you were the victim of a house or business fire, you may be tempted to do the cleanup process yourself. This is a grave mistake. A fire, however small — even an appliance fire — can pose dangerous health risks.
The first thing you need to be concerned about is mold. After water has been doused on the fire, the water-soaked areas can quickly begin to attract mold. Mold can start growing in as little as two days. Mold is known to cause health complications such as respiratory problems.
An even greater danger caused by fire damage is the soot and smoke that traveled through your house or business. This smoke taints your walls and furniture with a bad odor, but that is not all. The smoke will travel throughout your property by way of your heating ducts, HVAC systems, and even pipes. It will travel through your walls and contaminate all sections of your house or business. This smoke contains soot and other fine, microscopic particles that haven’t been totally consumed by the fire. They often contain chemicals and other hazardous materials and can cause health issues such as respiratory damage, bronchitis, coughs, and more. This is especially dangerous for those with previous lung or heart issues.
Without special equipment and techniques, there is no way you will be able to fully clean out the smoke and soot from your ducts, pipes, and heating systems. That’s why you should call a professional at ServiceMaster Quality Services as soon as possible.
For more information and for emergency assistance, just contact us.